"...the world you see is yours, because it is different for everyone else."

About Evon

My photo
I am a photographer, a sometimes writer, a gamer, a driver and more. I graduated from Central Michigan University with a double major in Journalism(Photo) and English(Creative Writing). Any Photos are copyright Ryan Evon, The Facts or the Morning Sun 2010/2011/2012. All words by, representing and claimed by Ryan Evon & only him, unless in quotation marks & specified otherwise.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Old People > Young People

Disclaimer: I'm not going to say "elderly" or "progressively aged" or "age enhanced." I'm going to say old people. Hope it doesn't bother you, if it does...it shouldn't.

On a whole, I like old people much more than people my age.

There are many reasons for this, some of them are random and confusing to people that don't master a brain quite as unique as mine. Other reasons are easy to understand.

An easy reason that some might not think about, especially young jerks, is respect.

"Respect your elders" is an ideal I do not believe. I don't respect someone because they have been alive longer than I have. That doesn't warrant respect. What does is the strength and character that most young people don't have, and I'd bet my money they'll never have. But if you went back 30 to 50 years good old people now would be good young people then.

An odd reason I like old people are their words. I hope when I get old I say "warsh" instead of "wash" and "progrum" instead of "program." Why? Well, the weird brain probably, but still...can't wait.

Old people have character, Bill Burden has been alive for over 101 years, so it is obvious the man has stories.

He sure does, but he also has character. Talk to him, or anyone else with true character, for more than a few minutes and it can't help but radiate from their skin like the warm light of a candle.

Old men have strong handshakes, if they don't now I'd bet they damn sure did when they were young. So many young people give you their hand and it goes limp like a dead fish. It's disturbing. Sack up, you nancies!

Toughness was apparently given out by the barrel full in previous generations.

My grandma is a tough lady, but I'm not calling her old, because she could probably kick my butt.

I think my generation and the generation before shared one barrel, because most whine and complain about everything with no gumption to get the job done. Gumption, that's an old people word and I love it. Even if you don't like what you are doing you get it done and you do it well.

There are more reasons but the point is old people > young people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this post... mainly because i love old people as well! And i too like the word gumption!

I enjoy your writing style. :)