"...the world you see is yours, because it is different for everyone else."

About Evon

My photo
I am a photographer, a sometimes writer, a gamer, a driver and more. I graduated from Central Michigan University with a double major in Journalism(Photo) and English(Creative Writing). Any Photos are copyright Ryan Evon, The Facts or the Morning Sun 2010/2011/2012. All words by, representing and claimed by Ryan Evon & only him, unless in quotation marks & specified otherwise.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

WTF: Bike rides with alligators, funerals in monotone

I don't just work all the time. I'd like to, I think, just forget days off and start earning a bit more cash, but then I'd probably go loony and workplaces tend to frown upon the guy sitting on the desk in his underwear talking to the imaginary duck about what lenses he should be using.

One of my free-time activities has been riding my bicycle around town in the morning before I go to work. It is an activity I've liked since I was a kid. I seem to have strong legs and crappy knees, so running is tough, but biking is easy...plus if I want I can take my camera on this luggage rack I have.

It's been a little cold down here lately, 20s for a couple days. I know, I know... -30 million and Michigan and all the roads only go uphill anymore. Blah blah. But think about it, it was 70+ one day, then 20. That's some crap! So I slacked off and didn't ride much last week.

But this past Sunday and Monday I made up for it. Sunday I had planned to go to a state park that I read had some bike trails. I was about 3/4 of the way there and got called about some work stuff. Lames! So I had no time that day, instead I went to the beach and rode 12 miles. But it was 60s, and I wore lots of layers and sweated my butt off.

I stopped half way through and took a shot on the beach.
beach sky
Suck it, Michigan!

Monday I spent about 3 hours riding around the Brazos Bend State Park. Thinking maybe I'd see an alligator. There were tons of them. One, in fact, right on the trail. Not 100% sure, but I think it was dead. There was some stuff on top of him, and what looked like holes. That and he didn't try to bite me while I was taking his picture or when I went past him.

gator1

That was the second one I saw within two minutes of being at the park.

I didn't take a lot of pictures, because I was more interested in riding and looking around, but I'll likely go back later and spend some time shooting.

This time I was just riding, taking in the park. Lots of trails, I wanted to hit them all, but didn't get to one that was a three mile dead end. Next time, after 25 miles my legs were so sore I was mad at myself for owning a manual car. First time that's happened.

gator2
He was just a little guy...awww.

Now to some actual work.

On Saturday I shot the funeral of a firefighter/pastor in a small town nearby. Funerals are always weird to shoot. They are emotional, which is photo gold, but emotions can be trampled easily and it's never my goal to distract anyone from the activity at hand. So it's a delicate balance.

021211 Clark Funeral 1
A firetruck was his hearse. I thought that was cool. But he was a big dude, couldn't have been an easy lift.

021211 Clark Funeral 3

clark funeral - flag truck

The reporter that covers the area told me the fire department really liked my photos, so that is cool. But it ran in black and white inside the paper...which is uncool. A little frustrating, but oh well.

No comments: