"...the world you see is yours, because it is different for everyone else."

About Evon

My photo
I am a photographer, a sometimes writer, a gamer, a driver and more. I graduated from Central Michigan University with a double major in Journalism(Photo) and English(Creative Writing). Any Photos are copyright Ryan Evon, The Facts or the Morning Sun 2010/2011/2012. All words by, representing and claimed by Ryan Evon & only him, unless in quotation marks & specified otherwise.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

WTF: Despite the cold, I'm still alive.

Yes, it came down into the 20s in the area today. Lame. The record low for the Houston area this time of year was previously 24 degrees. I suppose that's not bad, and I feel like a wimp for already being unable to not handle the cold but... screw that! It was almost 80 degrees last week. That's just not fair, trying to adapt to that kind of savage change.

Got a little behind on my updates. Sorry. I still have a job, I'm still taking pictures.

Shot some more boxing recently, a club training for upcoming an golden gloves competition. But I won't bore you with yet another slew of boxing pictures.

Okay, maybe just one.

0202 boxing
Trading lefts

This kid in white had a good left hand. You might even have to call it Wikked!, if you are prone to misspelled italicized fits of description; which feels appropriate right now.

I have one shot of him bringing his fist in to the other kid's face and both of his feet are up on the tippiest of tip-toes. I don't think he hit flush, or that other kid would have been flat on his ass.

Today, in the midst of this 23 degree rash of global warming, (screw you, Al Gore) I had a few things, one of which was outside. Lame.

The first event of the day was swimming practice at the high school by my apartment.

Most high schools, and colleges really, have their pools in poorly lit boxes that make me feel like I'm going to catch some illness in the thick, humid darkness that strangles every breath I try to muster inside its wretched maw.

I've been itching to write, so the descriptions are coming out a little thick...could you tell?

BUT!!! This high school has a natatorium (big room with a pool in it) that has one wall made entirely of windows. So I don't even have to light the room. :D

I got one of my favorite swimming shots ever. I don't have a whole lot that I like really, because I haven't found a lot to do with swimming. It's cool stopping water, like I said previously, but they swim down a lane, turn around and go back. No one ever jumps out of the pool mid-lap and tries to run the rest of the way, eventually slipping and breaking their arm in a gruesome display.

Today I was really trying to get something I hadn't done before. I got my safe shots, the same old crap. But then started moving, ducking and weaving, doing hand stands and jumping up and down. Okay, not that crazy.

020211 bwood swimming 1
It just looks neat to me. She looks like a plane making a water landing or something

I also tried some artsy shots cross the lanes, shooting towards the big windows. Some of them look a little abstract, like if I made the right crop and blurred them a little you wouldn't know what the hell was going on.

020211 bwood swimming2

Today was signing day for high school athletes. Almost the same level of interest for me as a grip-and-grin shot. Someone at a table, signing a piece of paper. Woo hoo. The one I shot was actually fake too. The kids had done it earlier in the morning, so it was staged, which really wasn't interesting to me. So I tried to shoot other aspects.

But as I left, feeling slightly dirty for shooting the some of the staged setups (for hope of reprint monies), I had to quench my artistic thirst somehow.

Luckily, there was a nice cloud formation behind a nearby water tower. Nothing award winning, but still looks cool to me.
watertower fireball-web

I kind of liked it in color, because there is a red light on top of the water tower, but black and white has more drama and I want to end with a flourish!

No comments: