"...the world you see is yours, because it is different for everyone else."

About Evon

My photo
I am a photographer, a sometimes writer, a gamer, a driver and more. I graduated from Central Michigan University with a double major in Journalism(Photo) and English(Creative Writing). Any Photos are copyright Ryan Evon, The Facts or the Morning Sun 2010/2011/2012. All words by, representing and claimed by Ryan Evon & only him, unless in quotation marks & specified otherwise.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

WTF: Workin' the Facts: Forgetful Fire

I had one of those times where you seem to forget everything. That bugs the living hell out of me, because I always try to be super prepared, but I exposed a few flaws in my system last night.

After I left work I got a weird call asking about the scene I was headed to, which was news to me because I was in my kitchen about to eat some ice cream. Straight from the tub, if you must know!

Apparently someone, who sounded just like me, called in a tip about something happening in Freeport, a town between Clute and the Gulf. So, right from the start there was lots of confusion.

I'm still learning town names, let alone the layouts and side streets. So hunting "a bunch of cop cars" in a fairly decent sized town I haven't traveled a lot had me a little off set before I even left the apartment.

Driving to the point I was starting to get nervous about missing it, I managed to find the scene, a house fire, by rolling my window down.

120710 FreeportFire5
Feeling like super-sniffer equipped, awesome detective photographer man I grabbed my gear bag and pulled out my camera, instantly feeling my stomach sink because of a noticeable difference in weight.

I left my battery on the charger in my apartment. Sure, I have an extra battery in my bag, but not with the attachment to actually put it in the camera. Capital F!

I also didn't have my memory cards that I usually carry, luckily I have like 60 of the damned things, so I knew there was one in my car somewhere.

120710 FreeportFire1

But I had my work backup, the pitiful D2H in my hatch. But at a night fire I'd have a better chance drawing the scene with a pin and a bloody finger tip on a soggy piece of cardboard.

I also had my D300, which is not as good as the D3 in the darkness, but decent when they are in tip-top shape...which mine is not. It also had little remaining battery power.

UGH!

120710 FreeportFire2

A few of the shots have some really wonky colors going on. On a few of them I think it actually made a cool effect.

I also dropped my pen between my car and the scene.

But after circling the house, with the many, many looky-loos, trying to get some good scene shots I moved in for the kill. And by "kill" I mean grainy, low light somewhat decent photos.

And got my socks wet, which makes me cranky.

But I got a mention in paper's facebook posting about it, which was cool.

Facebook: The Facts Fire is on the corner of Eighth Street and Yaupon in Freeport. House is totally gutted, collapsed in parts and still burning in others, photographer Ryan Evon reports. Online records from the county appraisal district indicate it's a rental property.



120710 FreeportFire6

But, it wasn't a total disaster...for me, picture-wise. The fire was terrible.

It's kind of weird, journalists talk about fires or crashes as good. "Yeah, that was a really good fire." From a coverage stand-point, we don't want people to be homeless, but we do like to have stuff to do. It may seem a little sick, but...well, it can be, but not on purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job...reminds me of your pics of the Mt. Pleasant fire (Main Bar!) where you also got some awesome pics!!

Anonymous said...

Good job as always, thanks for sending it, I'm not anon, D.D.E.