"...the world you see is yours, because it is different for everyone else."

About Evon

My photo
I am a photographer, a sometimes writer, a gamer, a driver and more. I graduated from Central Michigan University with a double major in Journalism(Photo) and English(Creative Writing). Any Photos are copyright Ryan Evon, The Facts or the Morning Sun 2010/2011/2012. All words by, representing and claimed by Ryan Evon & only him, unless in quotation marks & specified otherwise.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Go ahead, judge me!

Got to go to Houston on Saturday for work.

I tried to get in town earlier than I needed to be, and as I was starting to explore a bit I realize I had to leave. Oh well.

052811 bwood base4-web

I'm trying to make more of an effort to enter work in monthly clip contests. I re-joined the National Press Photographer's Association. Also the Associated Press for my region sent an email letting members know that they are going to start a monthly contest, and if you send your stuff in to share on the wire they will add the photos in the contest. Which is cool, because I wanted to start sending my stuff out on the wire anyway. Two birds.

BUT! Stuff has to be published to be eligible for the NPPA contest. Luckily I've kind of got around the problem of cool shots not getting in the paper. Everything is uploaded to the print gallery for sale, but that doesn't count as "published" for contests. So I've started uploading them to the stories on the website.

Last post I put up my photoshop shot of the softball catchers. The next day I went in and re-did the lettering part on the jersey. I thought that really tied it all together.
052411 sweeny columbia mash-web
And...it didn't run! Imagine that

On Saturday I shot the game this was meant to preview and showed one of the catchers and my phone disappeared for awhile into a crowd of excited high school girls. I thought I'd get it back and it would have been made over with curlers and lipstick, but it was fine.

In between games I had to drive about a half hour or so. The first didn't end until the second one started, so I was trying to hurry and I was also in a part of Houston I was not familiar with at all.

Yep. Got pulled over. Figured it would be for speeding, but as I was pulling off the expressway so the officer didn't have to stand on the tiny shoulder I realized he was coming up on me before I even got up to speed. What the hell?

Apparently there was a red light I didn't see and blew right through it. I really wanted to go back and see where it was, because I totally saw the yellow one I blew through, but it was yellow. But then I had to figure out which bit of curvy road crammed between overpasses, so it is possible there was a light there, but if there was I have no idea why it was there.

But I could tell the officer was pleased with my demeanor, behavior and genuine displeasure from having run a red light. After taking my license and insurance (and pronouncing my name right, which I told him I was impressed by) he just handed them right back and told me to have a nice day.

I was totally ready to eat a careless driving ticket, because I felt sick to my stomach after he told me my mistake, but he was a decent man and I behaved as I have been taught. Thanks, Papa Dush. :D

My Xbox finally died. :( I beat the story in LA Noire first though, so it wasn't as frustrating as it could have been.

Luckily, this month I am kicking ass at reprints. So I think I might be able to pick one up. I was going to just buy a used one from a pawn shop, but they are all the old ones like I have for about the same price as the new redesigned one. So if I take this months reprint money and do at all well in the next couple months, I should be able to swing it without upsetting my bill paying regiment.

On another money spending front I have been upset over the last couple months because I am flying up for a wedding in July and within a month's span of looking for plane tickets the prices DOUBLED! Frustration and desperation were all over in my head. I'm not going to miss it, but I really didn't want to put more crap on my credit card.

But luckily, I looked last week and prices have come back down. Probably because all those planes having cracks in them. I don't care if I have to hang on to the wing the whole way, just get me there.

I'm thinking of a plan for my next trip up, which will be in October for another wedding. If I can finally get a motorcycle endorsement I'd like to fly up and ride my bike back. It will be a hell of a ride and will likely cut my time in Michigan quite a bit short.

But I'm still thinking about it.

1 comment:

Nick said...

That would be a hell of a ride though. Hope you have good luck getting back to MI. Make sure you look into train tickets too (maybe a bit cheaper)